Stabilizing Solutions: Reversible or “See Through”, Sheer Fabrics Such as Silk and Organdy
There are times when absolutely no stabilizer can be left behind our embroidery designs and using a tearaway would mean hours of “picking” out remnants. Imagine a silk scarf with an open work heirloom design or monogram or a see through button up shirt that we wear over a t-shirt or tank top. Floriani Wet N Gone Fusible® or Wet N Gone Tacky® is the perfect choice for these types of embroidery projects.
To use Wet N Gone Fusible®, simply fuse a piece at least one inch larger than the outer edge of your embroidery frame to the back of the fabric. Be sure to use a low temperature setting (silk or 260°F) on your iron and a press cloth. Because the stabilizer is fused it will prevent the fabric from shifting during the hooping and embroidery process. After the design is complete, pull the remaining stabilizer back to the design and cut it away. The product remaining will rinse away.
For hard to hoop items such as the corner of a delicate handkerchief, the collar or cuff of a silk blouse or a textured (pleated) piece of see through fabric use the very convenient Wet N Gone Tacky®.
To use Wet N Gone Tacky®:
- Hoop one layer of Wet N Gone Tacky® with the release paper facing up.
- Score the release paper with a straight pin. This exposes the “tacky” side of the stabilizer.
- Stick down the item to be embroidered and smooth out any wrinkles.
- Complete the embroidery design.
- Once the design is finished, remove the article from the hoop and trim away the excess stabilizer
- Rinse away the remaining stabilizer using soft water.